Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I think I hate this blog.

Okay, not really.

But I do think this blog might be bad for my self-esteem.

My original intent for this blog was to be a place where I could put all of my random ideas and thoughts that I thought were good enough to be placed in public (or semi-public) view. Well, I'm a very scattered person and as such my thoughts careen around in a some-what random fashion. I get really inspired to do something - or be someone - one day and then next it's gone. Which is okay when it's just thought. But once you take that thought and make it "flesh" - or in this case, a blog - then you have a sense of accountability. There are actual people reading my words and, in a small way, holding me to what I said I'd do. Which brings me to this confession:

I can't finish anything.

I can't count how many things I've started and never finished - craft projects, household projects, my education - or how many things I've always said I wanted to do and never even started for fear of not finishing them. And, I've come to realize that all this blog is accomplishing is emphasizing the fact that I haven't finished a darn thing. My podcast? Dead. Blogging every day for the month of November? Dead. Blogging everyday for a year? Soooooo dead. Blogging every day for March? Why do I even keep trying?

It's like a parade of my suckiness. A cavalcade of non-accomplishment. A promenade of procrastination.

Every day mocking me and constantly reminding me of what I have failed to do.

So, what do I do?

I enjoy blogging and having a place for my thoughts to roam free. But at the same time, I hate feeling guilty over the things I've said I'd do and haven't. So, I'm stuck - rock meet hard place. Maybe I should just accept that this is who I am. A person of grand ideas and really poor follow through. All thought and no action. All idealism and no honesty.

Or maybe I should get up off my butt and do something?

Where's the magic 8-ball when I need it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie! You don't know me at all and I don't know you, and this is very random, but I stumbled upon your blog this morning by accident. I was looking for a photo of the Eiffel Tower in morning light, and voila...you had an exact photo I was looking for. Thanks for that! I also read some of your blog and decided to leave you a post, because I also have a blog and enjoy when people read it and comment. I'm sure this is a bit strange, a complete stranger, leaving comments, etc., but you and I have some things in common and I thought this could be fun.

Since I've learned a bit about you, let me tell you a little about myself. I enjoy writing (I also have a blog about nothing in particular), reading, watching movies, traveling, painting (which is why I was looking for a photo of the Eiffel Tower, for my new painting), and I love cats. My cat is at my parents', I unfortunately cannot have him with me at this time. I live and work in DC. I'm also environment conscious and listen to podcasts like Best of the Left, This American Life, and Best of YouTube. If you'd like to read my blog and chat: http://lostandfoundpi.wordpress.com/. I'd love to hear from you. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Didn't read what you put because its late and im tired.

I do think you are cute though so keep it up.